Culbreaths, Hazels, &c.

Among the earliest settlers on the Saluda side of Edgefield, was a Scotch family, or perhaps there were several families, who settled in the year 1756 about four miles south of where Chappell’s Ferry now is, and near where afterwards was organized and built by them the Baptist Church of Chestnut Hill. This church, by the way, was named Chestnut Hill because it was built on a hillside near where grew many chestnut trees, some very large. This growth was found nowhere else in the neighborhood. This settlement was called Scotland, and is still known and recognized by that name …

Culbreaths, Hazels, &c. Read More »